YakuMure
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Write A Complete Story

Go down

Write A Complete Story Empty Write A Complete Story

AeroPhoenix wrote:
You post the complete story as an article in the blog forum "Solo Stories" and if your story is part of a series (Which of course is what me and you are gonna do right?) then let the readers know by linking the articles together and/or assembling an archive. If you want to reveal your tale bit by bit then let them know that you'll be updating the same article, adding chapters later by editing till the story is finished. How do you know if a story is complete? Read on my friend.

The following is important advice, seriously. I'm just about finished reading Orison's book on writing speculative(f & sf) fiction, and dam for a short book its teaching me allot. Please don't ignore what I say, its not my genius I'm trying to bestow on you, its the genius of Orison Scott Card.

First of all there's length, the longer it is the more you count but don't get ahead of yourself
- Short Story: Under 7,500
- Novelette: 7,500 to 17,499
- Novella: 17,500 to 40,000
- Novel: Over 40,000
(If the work is too big, you could make each post a volume or part of your overall story but remember that we want a complete story)

There are four types of stories, how will your story begin and end?
Let me explain the viewpoint character, before we move on. That is the character you follow around, the character that you base your narrative on. You don't expose what that character wouldn't, you'll write the story through their eyes but not necessarily in first person.
Milieu: "An observer who will see things as we would see them gets to the strange place, sees all the things that are interesting, is transformed by what he sees, and then comes back a new man."
"the story doesnt end until he leaves (or, in a variant, he finally decides not to leave, ending the question of going home).
Idea: "The idea story begins by asking a question; it ends when the question is answered."
Character: "The story begins at the moment when the main character becomes so unhappy, impatient, or angry in his present role that he begins the process of change; and it ends when the character either settles into a new role (happily or not) or gives up the struggle and remains in the old role (happily or not).
Event: "The event story ends at the point where new order is established, or more rarely, where the old order is restored, or, more rarely, where the world descends into chaos as the forces of order are destroyed. The story begins, not at the point where the world becomes disordered, but rather at the point where the character whose actions are most crucial to establishing the new order becomes involved with the struggle."

Part of my message to Youkai in the thread Talk of a new RP, Elemental Worlds
AeroPhoenix
AeroPhoenix
Site Owner
Site Owner

Male
Number of posts : 1021
Job/hobbies : ...
Registration date : 2007-12-29

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit